Twisted Chickpea Stew
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbs ginger crushed
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into pieces
- 4 medium sized potatoes cut into pieces
- 1 parsnip chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 apple cut into pieces
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp curry paste
- 1 tsp whole cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas drained no salt/sugar added (420 gr sized tin)
- 1 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 2 generous handfuls of baby spinach
- splash of soy creamer (optional)
- 0.5 – 1 tbs potato starch to thicken the sauce
Put a little bit of water into a pot and cook the onions, garlic, ginger, curry paste and the other spices for about 5 minutes until fragrant. To prevent all from sticking, add a drop of water at times.
Then add all the other ingredients except for spinach and potato starch. Add just enough water to cover the potatoes (about 2 cups). Cover with the lid and bring to a boil.
When it starts to boil, take off the lid and cook on medium heat for about 20 min until potatoes are soft.
Before taking of the heat, mix in spinach and thicken with potato starch if you wish. (I usually use 1/2 tbs potato starch dissolved in a bit of water in a cup and stir in slowly into the stew while mixing).
Enjoy it as a soup or thicker as a stew over your favourite grain.